Apr 13, 2015

One bittersweet urban night || Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley




















Title:Graffiti Moon
Author:Cath Crowley
Release Date:August 10th 2010
Publisher:Pan Macmillan Australia
Synopsis:
Senior year is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate: tonight, she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work appears all over the city. He's out there somewhere—spraying color, spraying birds and blue sky on the night—and Lucy knows a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for. Really fall for.
 Instead, Lucy's stuck at a party with Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells her he knows where to find Shadow, they're suddenly on an all-night search around the city. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes

I've always been fascinated by graffiti.There's something so magical about those arts on wall that talk to the streets in the dark of night.I've been a huge fan of them since I was really young,and its one of my lifetime goals to go visit my favourite graffiti works throughout the world one day when I grow up.Among all the brilliant street artists,my favourite is probably Banksy-the British artist whose satirical artwork is breathtaking.Here are some of my favourites by him.


And if anyone of you live near close to his works,please go see them for me,okay?:)

So when I heard about the book Graffiti Moon,I practically jumped at the chance to read it.I opened the book with a lot of expectations,and I've got to admit that the book satisfied every single one of them.

Graffiti Moon is the story about a group of teenagers.Ed is a guy who expresses himself through art-by painting the walls of Australia at night with the pseudonym Shadow.Leo,his friend who lets out his anger and frustration with his dysfunctional family life through words-with his poems and iconic one liners that's written along Ed's art-naming himself Poet.Together they make a great team and wonderful art.
“Most times I look at Shadow and Poet's work, I see something different from what the words are telling me. I like that about art, that what you see is sometimes more about who you are than what's on the wall. I look at this painting and think about how everyone has some secret inside, something sleeping like that yellow bird.” 
Then we have Lucy,a huge fan of Shadow,whose dream is to discover the man behind the art.Along for the ride are her friends Jazz,Daisy and Daisy's boyfriend Dylan.Graffiti Moon is how these teens' lives collide one night and gives them-and us-an experience that can never be forgotten.
“...the definition of crazy is doing something close to the same thing twice and expecting a different end.” 
There are a lot of things I loved in Graffiti Moon.First of all,there's the art.Cath Crowley's writing is so vivid and descriptive that I could practically envision those works in front of my eyes.Plus the concepts behind those graffiti were so amazing.To me,graffiti isn't about the colours,or the beauty of the picture or the perfection of the art.Rather it's the meaning behind it and Shadow's graffiti were so beautiful and rich in their concepts and theme,that I couldn't help but fall in love with the artist like Lucy did.
"The guy who paints in the dark.Paints birds trapped on brick walls and people lost in ghost forests.Paints guys with grass growing from their hearts and girls with buzzing lawn mowers.
An artist who paints things like that is someone I could fall for.Really fall for"

 “Open skies painted above painted doorways and painted birds skimming across bricks trying to fly away.
Little bird, what are you thinking?
You come from a can.”
Next is the writing.Crowley's writing is beautiful,just like the story is.Her writing is almost lyrical in its style,and  that made me want to read the sentences aloud just to know what those gorgeous and artistic words would sound like.
“For a while, for as long as you're looking at it, that painting is the world and you get to be in it.” 
 Plus,in between chapters,we get to see Leo's raw,unique and intense poems,written in free verse which reminded me quite a lot of Colleen Hoover's Slam Poetry in Slammed.
“Remember
Love doesn't make the world go round
Sex makes it spin for a second or two
If you're lucky
So do chips, sausage rolls and girls in short skirts
Remember
Love
Lays its fingers on your heart
And holds it
Under water
Remember that
When the next girl smiles” 
And of course,there's the characters.They are so real.At one moment,I actually stopped thinking of Ed and Lucy as fictional characters.When they go on their journey along the streets at night,it was as if I myself was walking along the streets of Australia with them.The connection between the characters and reader is that strong.




The romance between these two was beautiful and cute.It was sweet,awkward,beautiful,passionate and everything that a typical teenage romance would be.I adored watching these two fall in love.
“If my like for you was a football crowd, you’d be deaf ’cause of the roar.
And if my like for you was a boxer, there’d be a dead guy lying on the floor.
And if my like for you was sugar, you’d lose your teeth before you were twenty.
And if my like for you was money, let’s just say you’d be spending plenty.” 
“Kept dreaming of this spot she had on her neck, this tiny country. I wanted to visit, to paint a picture of what I found there, a wall with a road map of her skin.” 
I loved the realistic portrayal of teen life.Love,crushes,fantasies,friendships,financial struggles,family dramas,disappointments,expectations,dreams,hopes and every aspect of a teenager's life was portrayed perfectly.Graffiti Moon is a beautiful take on urbanity,art,teens and life in general.
“You were right. Real is better. The truth is better.
It makes you feel kind of stupid, but it's better.” 
I would recommend Graffiti Moon to anyone and everyone.It's a must read.Whether you like art or not,you'd love this beautiful story for sure.Go get a copy as soon as you can!
The book has totally become one of my all time favourites,and I can't wait to read Cath Crowley's other works as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment