Aug 28, 2015

LITHW #13 : The so called Blogger Superiority


So the fatal day has finally arrived! Today's the last day of Learnt it the Hard Way! I had so much fun with the event, and I am so sad that it's coming to an end. 

The complete wrap up of the event and the twitter chats will be up by the end of the month. Don't forget to check it out!

That being said, today we are going to tackle a topic which has always been the elephant in the room when it comes to the blogger community. Blogger Superiority.

Let's face it. We are always intimidated by popular bloggers. We hesitate to approach them. We think that it's impossible to enter their conversations.

But what do the said popular bloggers think?

So today, we have April from Good Books & Good Wine who has been part of the blogging community for 6 years, and shares her views on the so called blogger superiority.



Hello new and old reader friends - I’m April and I blog over at Good Books & Good Wine. I’ve been a book blogger since 2009. I am what you might call a geezer. It is fascinating to see the community grow and change over the years. You know that saying about how the more things change, the more they stay the same? That holds true for blogging.

When I began blogging, it was a smaller community. In some ways, I miss that tight knit feeling. There were the huge bloggers, sure. There were bloggers I was afraid to approach because they seemed like celebrities in a way. Yet, because the community was small at that point, I began to interact with those larger bloggers and they became my friends.

Sometimes I wonder if newer bloggers feel a ‘You Can’t Sit With Us’ vibe from more popular, established bloggers. I wonder if maybe people who’ve been at this as long as I have give off an air of superiority. Straight up, I am writing this post to tell you that yes indeed you can sit with us. Granted, on Wednesdays we do wear pink - but it is not a hard and fast requirement.

Sure, there are some people who think that they are better than others because they’ve got the vast audience. Those people are a very small minority. In fact, I could not name a single person who genuinely thinks that other, smaller bloggers are not worthy of their time and friendship. Maybe somebody does not respond to your tweet or comment, but before viewing that person as conceited, maybe consider that they might have something private and personal going on in their lives or are just overwhelmed.


In short — there’s enough room at the table of book advocacy and blogging for all literature lovers. Don’t be intimidated - if you think a blogger is rad - let them know. If you see someone with thousands of followers - trust they want to be your friend.

What's your opinion on blogger superiority? Do you think it exists? Or not?


No comments:

Post a Comment