Aug 17, 2015

LITHW # 9 : Discover your blogging style


From the first day we start blogging, one goal we bloggers all have is to discover and maintain an own unique style for yourself and your blog. It's super important to make your voice and mark something different from all those blogs which are already existing in the blogosphere.

So today, we have Kat from Cuddlebuggery here, who's going to tell you all, some tidbits about finding your voice and making your mark.






Discovering one’s own unique blogging style is about not listening to me. Because I don’t know my elbows from my… well, my kneecaps (I’m trying to be polite, I’m a guest on this blog after all). All I can do is share my journey and hope that it doesn’t horrify you too much. And if you want the TLDR version then all I’m ever going to say to you is this: Experimentation. 

What is your voice? How do you tap into it? Do you have a banana? I’m not sure what the last one’s for but it might be important one day. Always travel with a banana. 

Sorry, tangent. I do those. How did I find my voice? I’m not really in the business of telling other people what to do and how to do it. Perhaps if I was, the world would be full of more Dance Bars, but that’s neither here nor there. But what I do know is that finding your voice is a unique experience for everyone. No two journeys are the same. 

I used to review a great deal on Goodreads before anybody decided to read them. Mostly they were stodgy things with brief opinions on stuff I thought I was supposed to talk about. My journey to finding my voice involved many late nights trying to tap into the unfiltered speech center of my brain and seeing what came of it. It was all about experimentation, and not the fun kind that you’re hoping I mean. Practice writing a review in three different ways and see which one appeals to you the most. Then practice writing in that manner, refining what works best each time. Forget about what you should be doing and focus on what you do well. Then embrace it like your emotionally distant parents and never let it go.

 Because once you have your voice down pat and can confidently write with it you can start getting creative with it. If I were a betting girl – who am I kidding, I’m totally a betting girl – then I would guess that discovering your voice will lead to a happier reviewer outlook. When you do something well, and you know you can,you are happier doing it. It’s like math or something. But math with letters instead of numbers. Oh god, I hated math with letters… 

When Steph and I started Cuddlebuggery, we had a rule: Be Different. Whether we achieved that or not, I’ll never be sure, but bee-jesus did we have fun along the way. And isn’t that what this is all about? Your blog is your space, so feel free to use it to do all the wild shenanigans that your brain can think up. Experimentation is what breeds creativity, while fear squashes it. Because fear will tell you to toe the line and be like everyone else.

This isn’t going to be a long post, because if you’re interested in finding an authentic, unique voice – namely, yours – then you already know what to do: experiment like a scientist with a room full of excitable rats. How you achieve the results, though, is entirely up to you, nobody can tell you how to do that. And nobody should tell you how to do that. That journey belongs to you. You will make mistakes along the way. You will have posts that get no engagement because they suck. Take it on the chin, because creativity demands that kind of result. The point is that you pick yourself up again, dust yourself off and keep being the most authentic, creative person you can be.

Because, in my opinion, life’s too short to keep trying to use someone else’s voice and to stifle your creativity.   

Do you think you have discovered your own unique blogging voice?



No comments:

Post a Comment