Aug 4, 2015

Top ten tales I want to be retold



It's no secret that I love retellings. Whether it's a fairytale, a classic old story, a myth or even a legend, I adore a well written retelling, which stays true to the original story's chief concept, yet takes a fresh take while doing justice to the magical aspects of the story it's inspired from.

When I learned today's TTT topic, I wanted to twist things a little bit. So instead of talking about fairytale retellings I loved or want to read, I want to talk about tales, that I wish to be retold in YA.


1. The stories of A Thousand and One Arabian Nights


I think that The Wrath and the Dawn has paved a great path for this particular tale. There are a lot of sub stories inside this sumptuous story, some of the most famous being Aladdin, Sinbad's adventures and Ali baba and the forty thieves. These stories will make wonderful retellings and renditions, with their rich culture, complicated characters and unique concepts.



2. The Wild Swans

This story, if retold, would make such an enthralling fantasy read! If it were me, I would make the tale a lot more darker than it is - maybe make the brothers into different animals rather than swans and make the princess suffer more.

3. The Phantom of the Opera

I love this dark, twisted and iconic tale so much! Just imagine the epicness that could be brought out if this story gets a retelling! Erik - the phantom - would be the ultimate new villain that we can't help but fall in love with!


4. Mulan

I actually wonder why there isn't no such retelling already! Mulan is one of the best disney tales ever, and I think it would be an epic retelling. I've always loved the trope of girls disguising as guys and kicking some ass, and Mulan's story is one of my favourites in that concept, so I am eager to read something that takes a fresh take on her story!



But whatever you do, don't forget to add Mushu! He's the best part of the whole tale!:)



5. The Snow Queen

To be honest, I didn't know anything about Snow Queen until I watched Frozen. When I learned that Elsa's character was loosely based on the snow queen, I immediately went and checked out the story, and was intrigued. Plus I really love Elsa's character, and it would be awesome to read a book with an antiheroic MC


6. Hansel and Gretel

You know why I want this story to be retold? I want a wonderful, deep and beautiful brother sister relationship in a fantasy book. It's quite rare to see meaningful sibling relationship that goes with the plot. Give me that with a retelling of Hansel and Gretel.





7. Hannibal Lecter

I saw The Silence of the Lambs when I was 14. I was utterly horrified, scared out of my mind, and was completely fascinated with the character of Hannibal Lecter and Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of him. To date, there has been a couple of interpretations of that character, but I want to read a story about him, in his point of view. Maybe something about his younger days
He's such a complicated and twisted antihero, and it would be glorious to read his story.



8. Tarzan

I want a book where Tarzan is brought to the contemporary world. It would be epic! Just imagine him trying to figure out vehicles and electronic devices!:)



9. The Nutcracker

A retelling of the nutcracker would be magical! Just imagine an author with an intricate and beautiful writing style trying to describe the Tchaikovsky ballet!


10.  The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Now this is a tale which is begging to be retold. There is numerous interpretations that can be made in this story, and therefore, it would be a perfect original tale for a potential retelling. Remember the movie with Nicholas Cage and Teresa Palmer? A YA retelling along the same line, would be amazing - though the movie itself was not that remarkable.



Do you agree with my list?
What tales do you want to be retold? 
Feel free to leave a comment and don't forget to leave the link to your own TTT list!


No comments:

Post a Comment