Sep 13, 2015

Faerytales Report #1


Hi bookworms!

As you might recall from our August Wrap-up, we have decided to quit doing monthly recaps in exchange for weekly recaps instead, which we will be calling as Faerytales Report. This new feature will stop by at the blog every other week now to talk about new happenings with regards to books, blogs, and life!


WHAT WE READ


Mishma

I had to cut back on my reading a bit as school started this week, but I am slowly getting back on track.

Books Read

A Step Toward Falling by Cammie McGovern
Dreamland by Robert L. Anderson

Currently Reading

Legend Marie Lu

Jillian

I'm so happy to announce that I'm officially out of my reading slump after one entire month! It feels incredibly good to be back to reading because I miss my books so much, and I have never felt so alive before. I'm still juggling reading books both for my blog and for school, but it really isn't that bad to do. Anyway, I'll be posting my review here next week (about time!) so that's something to look forward to.

Books Read
Breaking the Silence by Maria J. Nieto

Currently Reading
Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson


WHAT WE POSTED


The Reviews

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

The Discussions

Mishma writes an incredible post about ARCs and its impact on our "blogger status'
Jillian shares her thoughts about bookworm stereotypes and pressure

Others

AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

BOOKISH AND BLOGGING COMMUNITY NEWS


1. A Harry Potter spin-off film is on the way! And it will be released on November 16, 2016. Filming has officially started already for Rowling's book "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," and I'm totally going to watch the film. Even if I have *slightly* outgrown the Harry Potter series. (I feel guilty for saying that, but it's true. It's been years now since I've read the books.) Read the article HERE.

2. New Zealand's first book ban after decades and other controversial books! A book called "Into the River" by Ted Dawe was banned due to its story about bullying, racism, and sexual encounters, which is the first time NZ has banned a book in decades. I am neither for and against book banning, honestly. I'm very neutral about this. But I can see why they banned the book, AND why Ted Dawe doesn't want it banned.

I have very mixed feelings about this controversial topic. But moving on, read about other controversial children's books HERE.

3. "Go Set A Watchman" by Harper Lee is very educative! I recently found out that Go Set A Watchman doesn't pick off from where "To Kill A Mockingbird" left off, and I'm a little sad about that. Anyway, there is this article online about some topics that her sequel seems to be touching on.

- Jillian

4. My post on ARCs sparked some outrage. Honestly I expected backlash when I put up the post, and actually liked all the constructive criticism, and some of the comments which politely disagreed with me. But I am honestly sick of some people who started subtweeting, and one went to the extreme mocking me that I have so much wisdom for a blogger who's only been blogging for 7 months.



Since when did how long you've been blogging had to do with what you post?

5. There was a bit of a ..... conflict centering Maggie Stiefvater in Twitter. Well there was actually two, and I had the fortune to be online when both of them unfolded. *sighs* Anyway, the first one is done with and put back on the shelf - at least I think so - but the second one created quite a lot of awareness as well as arguments.
In case you missed it, everything sparked off from this post. The internet then decided to argue on the fact whether a white author who haven't ever written a POC, can actually represent and speak in a panel which is about diversity.

6. Allegiant's movie is going to be released in two parts! And the second movie is going to be called Ascendant! You can check out the full details here. Fans have mixed feelings regarding this info, as Ascend technically means "rising up" and the tagline says "The End is never what you expect" so what if, they change the ending or do something drastic like that?

- Mishma


TWEETS OF THE WORK


This is a new section Mishma and I will be adding to our wrap-up posts.

PERSONALLY, OUR WEEK...


Mishma

1. School Started! Although I've been attending the start-up courses for Advanced Levels at school from May to July, I just started A/Levels officially, and it's a super scary thought! Advanced Levels is a heft load of work, and there's so much pressure to do well, because by the end of it, I have to do a public exam which will decide whether I can go to Uni or not. It helps that I love my subjects though.

2. I had an early birthday celebration. Since my best friend's birthday is on the 5th of September, and mine is on the 18th, it's tradition for us to have a joint birthday party in between both the dates. This time, we had to keep it extra early for some reasons. On my best friend's birthday, we went out for drinks and lunch, and on the 8th, we met up with our friends and had a small party.


3. I got my first birthday present! It reached me super early and I was so happy when I got the package! The lovely Chiara  remembered my birthday, as well as remembered our random convo in twitter where I said to her that I read Poison Study by Maria V.Snyder ages ago, loved it, and has always wanted to get a copy for myself for a long time!

So imagine my surprise when I received this beauty in mail this week?


Thanks a lot for the beautiful and lovely present Chiara! Love you loads!:)))

4. I am getting more productive these days. Maybe it's because school started, I guess. I have stopped being lazy, and halted my procrastination as I am getting the hang of managing blogging and school efficiently.

Jillian

1. Mid-quarters started. And last week was hell week because I had 5 projects to do just before my exams started last Thursday. I've been sleep-deprived and stressed, so this week hasn't been doing well for me at all. Also, I nearly panicked while taking my Economics exam a few days ago because I was about to submit my paper until I realized THERE WAS A BACK PAGE. Scariest moment of my life.

2. Back to reading. I really miss reading, so having a book to read is very uplifting for me, even if I still have exams on the way. I'm currently reading Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson.

3. Exciting things ahead. I'm going on a class overnight away from home in a few weeks for 3 days and 2 nights, and I'm so excited! Then my school prepared a play for me and my class to watch, and it's my birthday in a few weeks...... AHH! So much things to look forward to!


How did your week go?

No comments:

Post a Comment