Oct 29, 2015

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


11408650
Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer 
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Release Date: March 27, 2014
Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Synopsis:

Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong.




Oh wow... THIS BOOK. So much suspense and mystery behind it all; it gave me the chills!

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a very creative and original novel that I fairly enjoyed so much! Here, we have Mara Dyer, our protagonist, who wakes up in the hospital one day without a single memory of the accident that transpired, which led to her confinement. Her friends -- Rachel, Claire, and boyfriend, Jude -- have died in the same accident.

The question is: How did she survive an accident while her friends couldn't? Why can't she remember a single thing that occurred then?

Mara Dyer is about to find out.

"Thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real."



I fairly enjoyed this book so much!

What I liked most about this book was its paranormal aspect. Due to the accident Mara was involved in, she was diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), causing her to have a series of hallucinations and nightmares of her friends who had died in the accident that previously occurred. The fact that we get to see a little of how this disorder affects her makes the book altogether very interesting!

Because, unlike those typical YA books people usually read, we don't have a protagonist who lives a normal life; we have one who truly struggles to get her life back together -- to move on -- after having hers destructed by a traumatic experience.

I liked and hated Mara Dyer. I loved how she was able to get through her hallucinations despite how they were affecting her to the point of consulting a psychiatrist. Hodkin truly conveyed a strong character in her part, which made her very admirable.


But one thing that I happen to not like about her was her sarcasm. She was incredibly SARCASTIC at so many parts of the book, and although I found some of them to be very hilarious, it made me think of her as rude and annoying. 

The romance in this book was alright, though. It was very cute, and it made me smile; however, it wasn't my favorite kind of romance at all. In fact, I sort of have very mixed feelings with regards to it.

To conclude, I fairly enjoyed The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, but there are some parts of the book that didn't appeal well to me. I would still recommend this to anyone who is a fan of paranormal romance, or anyone who is looking for a good plot twist in the end! I'm sure you'll enjoy this book quite well.


No comments:

Post a Comment