Nov 16, 2015

Top 5 World War 2 books || Valerie @ The Innocent Smiley

By the time you're reading this, it would be exam week for me!!! Wish me luck everyone!!!

Anyway, today, we have list of World War 2 recommendations for you all, thanks to Val @ The Innocent Smiley - who is hands down, an expert in the genre. She's also hosting an uncoming event on WW2 books, don't forget to check it out!!!

Over to you, Val!


Hi there! This is Val from The Innocent Smiley, currently taking over Chasing Faerytales permanently (just kidding). I kind of forced Mishma to let me write a guest post for the blog, because I can.


If you don't know me, I am obsessed with everything World War II. Well, book related. I consider it its own genre just because of the sheer amount of amazing books that incorporate the topic. Plus, if you look around the blogosphere, I'm not the only one that thrives off of the sadness and feels. Which is why, in preparation for an event I'm hosting with my blogger friend Ely @ Tea & Titles, I'll be introducing and recommending you five MUST READ WWII books.


REASON TO READ: Not only is it a heart-wrenching story about a blind girl losing her father during WWII (sobbing inside), but it also incorporates magical realism. Or does it? It's actually a really cool concept in that the reader decides whether or not to believe the story of the Sea of Flames, a mythical diamond that resembles a little flame within a whole lot of blue. Although it is beautiful, legend says that anyone in possession of the diamond will never die, but instead cause misfortune upon everyone around him.


Like all WWII novels, expect an ending that is an ending. With sadness.


REASON TO READ: YOU GET TO EAT YOUR FEELINGS, IN CAKE. I SOBBED WHILE READING THIS. And also developed an appreciation of small planes. I could probably fly one, in theory, because of all the Elizabeth Wein books I've read (they all focus on flying, if you didn't know).

But this also features the most wonderful friendship I have ever read about. Which is why I bawled at the end. STILL HURTING INSIDE AFTER ALL THESE YEARS*

*two years*


REASON TO READ: Because I said so. There is seriously no excuse. If you haven't read The Book Thief you are 1) behind in life 2) out of your mind and 3) haven't experienced true sadness.

PLUS it's about a BOOK LOVING CHILD. Who doesn't like book-loving children? And she steals books! She's living out our dreams guys! Except for the part where it's during WWII, and all the bombs, and oh let's not forget Rudy who just wants a kiss. (brb crying, again)



REASON TO READ: Looking for a WWII that isn't as sad? GASP this is the one for you. They are hard to come by so treasure this. Actually, this has a twist in that it is alternate reality. In other words, HITLER HAS WON. He gloats by hosting a nationwide motorcycle race, where the winner gets the chance to meet him personally.

Basically, this is one unique novel. It blends together historical fiction, dystopian, and also science fiction.


REASON TO READ: Wow tears are nearly spilling out of my eyes just because I LOOKED AT THE COVER. This is the companion novel to Code Name Verity, and it doesn't get any sadder (well I'm sure it can, but let's not think about that. Also haven't read The Boy In The Striped Pajamas yet sooo). However, Rose does go through some pretty tough situations, like a concentration camp, where she meets a bunch of strong-willed women WHO BECOME HER FRIENDS FOR LIFE.

Just the story itself is incredibly eye-opening when it comes to the events of the Holocaust.


OVERALL REASON TO READ WWII BOOKS: Let's be honest, sadness makes you feel MORE, especially when you become emotionally connected to these characters. And you can find plenty of that in the WWII genre compared to some other genres out there. And I don't know if you have noticed, but I THRIVE on these feelings. Sure, I still hate the authors for killing everyone, but would the novel be the same without it? No. Plus, I always have denial of these things. I WILL ALWAYS BE IN DENIAL ABOUT CHARACTER DEATHS.

How do you feel about character deaths? Do you think a book would have less of an impact without it? Did I convince you to read all the WWII books? Yes? Good.


Again, I want to thank Mishma for letting me take over for today. She's the best :)

No comments:

Post a Comment