Aug 8, 2016

Building Author - Blogger Relationships - Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books || #LITHW16

Hi everyone!

It's time for the second post of Learnt it the Hard Way and today we have Rachel from A Perfection Called Books to talk about author blogger relationships!

Building relationships with authors is exciting and vital in a blogger's journey. There are never hard and fast rules on how to make friends, of course, but there can be certain things to consider when it comes to the diplomatic relationships between authors and bloggers. So, today, Rachel will be breaking it all down for you!



Hi everyone! I’m Rachel, blogger at A Perfection Called Books. I’m ecstatic to join Learnt it the Hard Way for a second year in a row. Today we’ll explore blogger-author relationships. What is it, how do you do it, and what lines must be drawn? 

When I first started blogging, I had no idea that bloggers so openly communicated and worked with published authors. I still remember thinking – and I still do – that being able to chat with authors is the coolest part of joining the bookish community. I never thought I’d have the opportunity to talk to an author about his/her book while I’m reading it! 

Naturally having such easy access to communicate with authors via Twitter and even by email helps foster friendships. I tend to revere them because they write BOOKS, and I like BOOKS. But I digress… Remember that authors are normal people too! They watch tv shows, have favorite books, and are so friendly. Don’t be shy or hesitant to reach out. Follow the author on Twitter or Instagram, respond to their tweets, like and comment on their photos, interact! If you don’t feel comfortable doing that then participate in a Twitter chat you know they will attend. Tweet them a link to your favorable review of their book. Maybe you’ll tweet and converse often, eventually you’ll chat through direct messages, you might even meet in person if the opportunity presents itself!

And this is where things might get tough. I have made so many wonderful friends through blogging. Some of these people are readers, bloggers, publicists, and authors. To me it is important not to categorize my friends based on their title or job. I don’t have “blogger friends” or “author friends”; they are all friends! And that is how I recommend you view it. You wouldn’t take advantage of your friends, so be careful what lines you cross. Personally I am very cautious about receiving an ARC of a book from authors I am friends with. Our friendship means so much more to me than the fact that he/she is an author. I think it’s important to separate their careers from your friendship. I’m not saying you can’t or shouldn’t talk about their work with them, but don’t put them or yourself in an awkward situation. I hate to say “do” or “don’t”, but I personally feel uncomfortable asking an author I’m friendly with for their publicist’s contact information. I would never ask an author to give me an ARC of their book.

I’ve made wonderful friendships with great authors, and you can too!


No comments:

Post a Comment