Dec 30, 2016

2016 End of the Year Survey

One more day to the end of 2016! Once again, I've failed my GR challenge, read some equally amazing and meh books, and it's that time to do Jamie's end of the year survey take a look at how my bookish year has been!



Image credit goes to Perpetual Page Turner

Best in Books

1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
Obviously I just can't pick one, so here's my best of 2016 list!

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Thief of Lies. The concept sounded amazing, but it didn't wow me as I expected. Plus it had a whole lot of cliches and info dump - the latter is a huge pet peeve for me - and I was really disappointed.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?  

I was pleasantly surprised by Blackhearts. I was expecting the book to be more about pirates, vengeance, adventure and what not, but instead the book presented a beautiful love story while dealing with social prejudices, especially racism.



 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
This Savage Song. I am a true Schwab fan, you all!


 5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
Best Series I started would be Ruined. I loved the first book, and even though I am not a series fan, I know for sure, that I'll be reading the sequels!
Best sequel is A Torch Against the Night, hands down! I adored Ember, but I flat out loved Torch!

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
Adam Silvera. And I am so glad I did.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Timekeeper. I've never read or had any interest towards steampunk, but I ended up loving Timekeeper. I still haven't decided my feelings towards the genre though.

 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
This Savage Song without a doubt. The book was so happening and it keeps you on edge throughout!

 9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Caraval. It probably won't be the same experience the second time around, which is why I am so curious to read it and see

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
This Savage Song. I am sorry, this will be a repeated answer :D But really, I love the violin, the city backdrop, the colours and the ribbon font!!!

11. Most memorable character of 2016?
Two characters actually. One is Helene Aquilla from A Torch Against the Night. She is fierce, badass, vulnerable yet strong and absolutely amazing. I'll gladly live in a kingdom where she is Empress.
Second is Irina from The Shadow Queen. She is one of the best villains I've read hands down. She gave the evil queen from Snow White a new twist, and I was totally in awe and love.

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
A Thousand Nights. Beautiful is the word I would use to describe this book. The writing is gorgeous, to the point where the author's description of rain will kindle a new love for rain in you.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
History is All You Left Me. The book has an extremely authentic and unique representation of OCD which made me come to terms with my own quirks and obsessions.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read? 
For a person who was yearning to read a book set in Sri Lanka, I took a long time to finally take up Funny Boy. It was amazing, and everything I wanted it to be. And more.

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?

“It was a cruel trick of the universe, thought August, that he only felt human after doing something monstrous.” 

It's from - yes you guessed right - This Savage Song. The book is all about the blurred lines of being human and being a monster - both literal and metaphorical - and this is one of my fav quotes which highlight that gray area.

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Longest - Sempre by J.M.Darhower
Shortest - Lionhearted by Diana Palmer

 17. Book That Shocked You The Most
This has to go to Caraval, Except a few, I almost didn't see any of these twists coming.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Two ships I really want to get together in the sequels, because I can't bear to see them separated. One is Liesl and the Goblin King from Wintersong. THESE TWO ARE PERFECT!!!! I ship them to the Labyrinth and back. 

Second is Em and Cas. I didn't expect to ship them as much as I did, but they are amazing. Their chemistry is sizzling and their banter is top class!

Also have to mention Razor and Brienna from Walk the Edge because they set the pages on fire, and Thorn and Rune from Roseblood, as their romance is so swoonworthy.

Plus, I have a non canon ship from 2016, which I badly want to become canon. Helene and Harper from Torch. Please tell me I am not the only one who ships them so hard.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
I love the sister bond between Scarlett and Tella from Caraval, the realistic friendship between Henry and his best friends in Our Chemical Hearts and of course my fav companions on the run - Kate and August from This Savage Song.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Can I pick This Savage Song again?.....Okay, well, The Shadow Queen. I read C.J.Redwine's Defiance back in 2012, and only read another book by her in 2016, and I have to say it was wise decision because I loved the book and her writing.

21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
If I Was Your Girl. I don't regret one bit of it.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Razor from Walk the Edge. Because I'll never not fall in love with bad boys with a huge vulnerable side.

23. Best 2016 debut you read?
This one was a hard question, but The Star Touched Queen. Because this book is everything.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Caraval. That world building was stellar, gorgeous, enticing and amazing.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Our Chemical Hearts. The book was bittersweet overall, but it had such quirky characters, witty dialogue and pop culture references, that I couldn't help but smile throughout.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
History is All You Left left me wrecked.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Tone Deaf. It's a great read with a heartwarming portrayal of a deaf MC and I wish more people knew about it.

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Funny Boy. This book was so achingly real.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
Sword and Verse by Kathy Macmillan. I loved the concept and the made up mythology that incorporated into the plot perfectly

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The Continent. Need I say more?

Looking Ahead

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
A Gathering of Shadows. I know what you're thinking, how come I still haven't read a Schwab book that has been out for months???? I shall. Soon.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
I have to make a list again! :)
Warcross by Marie Lu
Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
By Your Side by Kasie West
Roar by Cora Cormack
Eliza and her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
Noteworthy by Riley Redgate
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Sigh. There's so many!!! After much difficulty, I picked a few.
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody
The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich
When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
Forget Me Not by Ellie Terry
Frostblood by Elly Blake
The Hundredth Queen by Emily R King

 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
List again.
A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi
Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab
The Wish Granter by C.J.Redwine
Avenged by Amy Tintera
Long Way Home by Katie McGarry

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?

Next year my personal life is going to be hectic, so I want to take my reading and blogging life pretty easy. Read at my own pace and keep myself sane.

6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I'll definitely rec Caraval, History is All You Left Me, Wintersong and Roseblood to everyone!!!

How has your bookish year gone by?

No comments:

Post a Comment