Dec 14, 2016

A Very Bookish Christmas || Mason's Custom Funkos

I am pretty excited about today's store! :) Funkos are a popular trend these days, and I've always wanted to buy myself some, even though shipping has always made me sob! Well, today we're featuring Mason, who makes and sells custom funkos inspired by books!

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.56.02 AM (1).png

1.  Let’s start by breaking the ice! Introduce yourself and your store, and tell us something random and interesting about you!
Hi, I’m Mason, I own Mason’s Custom Funko’s. I really tried hard to come up with a better name for it, but that’s just what stuck. A random fact? I’m terrible at these, but I guess owning 8 editions of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is pretty random.
2. What are your signature products? What sets your store apart from others?
Well custom Funko figures are really nothing new, but book-themed ones are completely rare. I’ve seen maybe 2 other people doing them. My signature product is Kaz Brekker, I swear I can post 5 of him and he’ll sell out in a day, people really love some Kaz Brekker.
3. What inspired you start a business? And why specifically funkos?
  Well I made a set of Funko figures inspired by Victoria Schwab’s ‘A Darker Shade of Magic’. She saw them, retweeted them, and people started asking for them. That lead to a friend asking me for custom Kaz and Inej figures. Leigh Bardugo saw them and well… it just sort of blew up from there!


4.    What is your favourite thing about owning a book merchandise store?
Seeing everyone’s photos once they’ve gotten their figure. I love seeing posts on Instagram and Twitter of people posing the figures in front of their books or on their shelves. It feels more real than when I’m just sitting at my work bench painting them.
5. What are the biggest issues you face/ or have faced?
Pricing. It feels odd, but I felt so bad charging so much for just one figure. But when it comes down to it, my figures end up being on the cheaper side of most figures you can find on Etsy. But between my time, paint, the price of the figures, and shipping, they’re the cheapest I can get.
6. What is your personal favourite product of those you’ve made?
I want to say Kaz, but honestly, it’s the Simon Spier figure from ‘Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda.’ Mostly because it has a special place in my heart, both the figure and the book. Plus he’s just so cute, I really loved making him, even if the glasses were a pain.

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.30.21 AM.png
7. Where do you see yourself and your store in the future? Any plans in terms of expanding, developing the products, any big dreams?
It’s a bit hard to plan an expansion when I’m not sure what I’m doing half the time. I need to look into different things, like international shipping. That’s one thing I really want to get to in 2017. Plus cranking out more characters, seeing as my roster is a tad limited at the moment. I’m always open for custom orders though, and I get plenty of ideas from them.
8. Tell our readers where they can find your store items, how they can contact you and how they can promote and share their reviews and pictures of your merch?
You can always find me on Etsy under ‘Mason’s Custom Funko’s’, I’m also on twitter as @AmzngBookshelf and Instagram as @masonsbookishfunkos, For any questions about orders or things like that you can always ask or message me on Twitter or Instagram. And like I said before I’m totally open to custom orders on Etsy. Those prices vary depending on the figure, and the make doesn’t always work out because of certain limitations, but if there’s a figure you want to see in my store then that’s the best way to ask!

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.56.48 AM.png

Mason is giving away his store's superstar, a.k.a a funko of Kaz Brekker! Open to US only.

No comments:

Post a Comment