Jan 5, 2017

A seductive, enthralling and intriguing game || Caraval by Stephanie Garber


Title : Caraval
Author : Stephanie Garber
Release Date : January 31st 2017
Publisher : Flatiron Books
Synopsis :

 Welcome, welcome to Caraval―Stephanie Garber’s sweeping tale of two sisters who escape their ruthless father when they enter the dangerous intrigue of a legendary game.

Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over.

But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But she nevertheless becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with the other players in the game. And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever.



I think I fell in love with the blurb of Caraval the moment I read it. I have a huge soft spot for books that revolve around a circus, carnival or a heist of some kind, and Caraval sounded like a gorgeously wrapped package of all those elements. I think the only book that promised something like that and delivered up to now is The Night Circus, and I have to tell that Caraval was as much as good - and I'll dare to say, even better - as the magical Night Circus which is hands down one of my fav books ever.

“Whatever you've heard about Caraval,it doesn't compare to the reality.It's more than just a game or performance.It's the closest you'll ever find yourself magic in this world"

Scarlett and Tella are sisters, but they can't be more different than each other even if they tried. With Scarlett's sweet, protective and endearing nature and Tella's spirited, reckless and bold attitude, they make one interesting duo, bound together by their unconditional love for each other. All Scarlett has wanted is to protect her sister, a life free from her commanding father, and to visit Caraval - the legendary game of mystery, illusions, magic and thrill. The last of those wishes comes true when Scarlett receives an invitation to the game by the gamemaster himself - Legend. However, taking part in it might take her sister away forever, as Tella embarks on a quest to save her sister from the enigmatic Legend, while attempting to navigate through Caraval's illusions and reach the point of game over, armed with the unlikely companion in the form of the seductive sailor, Julian.

Inside the house, violin music, richer than the darkest chocolate, started playing. It seeped outside and whispered to Scarlett as Julian's smile turned seductive, all shameless curves and immoral promises.

Caraval was mindblowing. It is the type of book that captures your entire attention and results in you being completely engrossed in its world and happenings. Stephanie Garber’s creation of a magical and lush world is nothing short of amazing, and her vivid descriptions, intricate details and the overall atmosphere of mystery, magic and suspense all comes together to deliver absolute perfection. The book’s world building is foolproof; the writing style is gorgeous; the characters are deep and well fleshed out – especially Scarlett, whose character growth is exemplary and Legend, the ambiguous, glorious and amazing central villain.The romance is swoonworthy, with enough banter and tension to keep it interesting and the overall execution is just plain amazing. The entire reading experience of Caraval, makes you feel like you’re part of the world and a player in the games, trying to find the answers to the mysteries along with Scarlett, while being awed by the sights that are unraveled in front of you

It's hard to give a detailed review of the book without giving away twists, while it's impossible to describe its beauty in mere words. Caraval is certainly a fav of 2017 to me, an unputdownable, ever happening, gorgeous, unpredictable, intricately woven together, seductive story that will you sweep you into its world until you become completely enthralled by Stephanie's creation.

"Lush red carpet cushioned her steps, while soft golden lights licked her arms with gentle kisses of warmth. Heat was everywhere, when a blink ago the world had been covered in cold. It tasted like light, bubbly on her tongue and sugary as it went down, making everything from the ends of her toes to the tips of her fingers tingle"


Interview

1. Tell us a few random facts about yourself.


  •  I still wear a sweatshirt I’ve had since high school—it’s oversized, really ugly, and it’s one of my favorite articles of clothing.
  •   When I was a kid I used to build leprechaun traps every year on St. Patrick’s Day. Sadly, they never worked.
  •  My first book crush was on one of the Hardy boys.
  •  Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Alias, Chuck, and Veronica Mars are my all time favorite TV shows.

2. What inspired you to create the world of Caraval?

I had the idea for Caraval long before I actually started writing, so it was inspired by a number of things. One real life place that inspired it was the city of Bruges, in Belgium. My sister told me about it, she said I would love it because it felt like a real life Disneyland, as if it were the sort of place where fairytales would come to life—and I wanted Caraval to feel like that.
3. Not accusing you of favouritism, but who's your favourite character from the book?

Julian. I sometimes notice that readers say that don’t know whether or not they should trust him, and that is exactly how I felt as I wrote his character. Originally he was only supposed to be a minor character, but he stole every scene he was in, so I just kept putting him in more and more scenes, because he was so much fun to write, and I wanted to see what he would do.
4. What would you want to say to readers - especially those who are anxiously waiting for the book's release - about Caraval?

Shortly after Caraval sold I started sewing these handmade bookmarks made of ribbons and buttons. They reminded me of Caraval, so I thought they would be fun to make as a thank you gift—I knew there was no way I could thank everyone who read this book, but I am truly grateful to every single reader, so I wish I could give you all presents. Since I was very young, I’ve wanted to be a writer. Telling stories through books has really been the dream of my heart, so everyone who reads Carval, reviews it, or talks about it, is seriously a part of my dream coming true. Thank you all so much!

Giveaway

Stephanie is giving away 5 of her ticket bookmarks! Open internationally




No comments:

Post a Comment